Of the total number of registrations, Spain is in 6th position after Belgium for the headquarters effect, Germany, France, United Kingdom (the report was made before the Brexit was effective) and Italy.
Registration in the registery gives access to a number of advantages, both in the Parliament and Commission. Among others these include:
- Long-term access to Parliament
- Ability to speak at public hearings
- Subscription to notifications on legislative activities
- Meetings with members of the Commission, Cabinets and Directors-General
- Being appointed to an expert group
The Transparency Register has proven to be a successful example that has been replicated by other national and regional institutions.
In conclusion, the way in which lobbying is done and the principles governing the behaviour of institutional relations professionals at the European level do not differ much. However, we must be aware that most of the laws that currently affect us come from the European Union and we must also be aware of how we can influence them. In order to do this, we need to know the institutional framework and the legislative process.